Pipe Creek Friends have seen a steady increase in attendance over the past year due to the activities of members and attenders moved to share their portion of The Light. Gwen Handler, a teacher at Sandy Spring Friends School was welcomed into our membership this spring and the Meeting is joyfully looking forward to the wedding of members Bill Atwater and Linda Payne, which will take place under the care of our Meeting this December. Many new faces grace our door and we are grateful in the renewal of interest in Quakerism in Carroll County.
The Meeting has been involved with many projects, including:
- The Hiefer Project – Our Meeting raised $500.00 to purchase a dairy cow for a needy family overseas and continues to raise money towards the purchase of dairy goats as a next step.
- Oral History Project – Attender and local film maker Jo Israelson is wrapping up a project that documents the history of the Meeting and highlights the reflections of its members and attenders. The DVD will include music performed by attenders and members and air on the local cable access channel this fall.
- Community Garden – In its second year, the Meeting’s community garden has raised fresh vegetables that are contributed to the local food pantry. The Meeting also bought a share of a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm which is run by two of our attenders and donated its produce to the same food pantry. The fresh seasonal vegetables and fruit from the Meeting’s Granny Smith Apple trees are much appreciated at the pantry.
- Meeting Web Site – Various members and attenders have participated in starting a web site for the Meeting. Becky Mossburg recently completed a school project that included the design of the Meeting’s new web site and we hope to have it up and running this fall.
- Monthly Discussion Group – based on the concept of “Friendly Eights,” the Meeting has held informal discussion groups on Wednesday evenings at members’ homes and or the Meeting House as a means of deepening our understanding of spiritual matters and also our own relationships within the Meeting. These have been well attended and folks have left well fed, body and soul.
- Meeting for Singing – in September, Friends will gather in the Meeting House in the hour before silent worship for singing.